Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Bulbous Nose

Not too long ago, I was discussing with some mummy friends of mine about the effects of pregnancy, but in an oh-so-superficial way... Our noses!

You know how when you read parenting magazines, and pictures of mummies-to-be all look amazing with the pregnancy glow? Or when you browse through the "Top Stories" of your FB page, your friends who are pregnant look gorgeous even with a bump?

I'm so jealous! 
Because for much of my pregnancy, I'm stuck with a bulbous nose... 

I have had many friends come up to me to say that my facial features have changed during pregnancy. And then there was those that said I looked so tired and ready to give birth anytime even though I'm far from my EDD. The straw that broke the camel's back was probably an acquaintance whom I haven't met with for at least 4 years, saying that I look really different from the past. Last night I got so frustrated after staring in the mirror, that I spent some time researching on an enlarged nose during pregnancy.

Here's what I found in summary...

Nose Spreads
Rhinitis of Pregnancy ('wide nose") is common during pregnancy and caused by elevated estrogen levels which cause the mucus linings to thicken and excess fluid retention and weight gain. Many woman are aware of nose congestion during pregnancy, but 'nose spreading' is also very common. It was an old wives tale that stated that if you're having a girl, your nose will widen. But scientific data now suggests that changes to the nose can occur despite the sex of your unborn baby.

Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done to fix this issue during pregnancy but there is light at the end of the tunnel after you've delivered. Just like any part of the body, large weight fluctuations can result in the underlying support, if the body doesn't heal or recover properly post-pregnancy. Most noses return to normal size and permanent nasal changes are quite rare post-pregnancy.


Funny that the Caucasians say that a widened nose suggests a baby girl!
For the Asians, at least those who approached me, guessed that I was having a boy because of my nose.

By the way, nothing can be done to fix the issue, you just have to wait to have your body and face back to normal after delivery. My sister-in-law says that she lost her swollen nose within two days. I lost my bulbous nose in a week or so. Hopefully when I have my second baby, no bulbous nose for me!

Mummies reading, do you face this problem as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment