Wednesday, January 14, 2015

The Day My Baby Arrived

It all happened in the morning at 9.47am when I suddenly felt pain in my stomach. So I went to the washroom, thinking that it was a tummyache. It was then when everything happened at the same time. My water bag burst and gushes of water flowed out. I was also bleeding, and had a 'show'. A few seconds later, I was hit with contractions and could feel the pain coming in incessantly.

Excited, I hurried to call my husband to let him know that today was going to be the day. Then I called the clinic to say that my water bag had burst. But since I was still able to talk coherently and the contractions weren't too intense yet, the receptionist scheduled for me to meet my gynae at 2pm.

So having another 5 hours to go, I decided that I would take a nap. I put on a sanitary pad and tried to get some rest. But a few mins later, a next gush of fluid came and soaked up the pad in no time. Instead of worrying of dirtying my bed, I decided to take a bath, shampoo my hair, since I figured I probably won't be allowed to wash my hair for the next few days. It was then the contractions intensified all of a sudden, and the time lapse between each contraction shortened.

After my bath, I called my husband and told him to come home immediately as delivery might happen soon. Quickly, I looked through my hospital bag again, and added in some clothes for the hubby. At about 11am, we left for Gleneagles.

In the car, I called the clinic to say that the contractions had intensified and I was in pain. My gynae, Dr Irene Chua, once told me that the pain must come at least once every 10-15 mins, and the pain must be so great that I find difficulty in talking. And that was exactly how I was feeling! The receptionist quickly arranged for the doctor to see me before 12nn, as she had a surgery after that.

By the time I reached Gleneagles, my pad was soaked through and my shorts were also wet with the fluid from the water bag. Dr Chua saw me and admitted me into the delivery ward immediately as I was already 3cm dilated. At that time, she estimated the baby to arrive in 7 hours time.

By 1.30pm, my contractions were coming in to one in every two minutes. But the epidural wasn't really working yet as I still felt alot of pain.We got the nurses to up the dosage, and they also started with the oxytocin.

Dr Chua came in at 1.51pm to check on me, and I was already 6cm to 7cm dilated. Things were moving along fast, and Hayley might come sooner than expected, in probably 2 to 3 hours!

I tried to sleep some while waiting to be 10cm dilated. All the while, I was struggling with some discomfort here and there because labour was fast but the epidural took some time to kick in.

At 3 plus, I started my first round of pushing with the nurse's help. All we had to do was to push till we saw Hayley's head. It took only about 10 minutes. After that, it was time to call Dr Chua in for the final pushes.

Hubby and I took the opportunity to pray for a smooth delivery, no complications, and prayerfully no need for the use of instruments like forceps nor vacuum. We also prayed that baby will not be in distress and would come out easily, within 30 mins. 

Dr Chua came in soon after and we got ready for the final lap. All it took was 3 big pushes, and 15 minutes later, Hayley was born! 


Hello, beautiful baby... I still can't believe you came out of me! :)

We are thankful to God, because I prayed that I would not bleed on the bed, nor will my water burst on the bed. Haha, I'm a little obsessive about cleanliness. So when everything happened in the toilet, it was really the grace of God! It was such smooth and fast delivery as well, and it happened on my off day. God is sooo good!

No comments:

Post a Comment